What is a High Performance Outcome?

Acquisition Evolution
With regard to this blog, it concerns the "final outcome" (results) of an owner's Constuction Project. As this is my initial post, and have been wanting to share my views on Construction Project Owners pursuing "High Performance" project outcomes, a definition of "High Performance Outcome" (HPO) is in order.

HPO is the absence of deviation between the identified needs of the Constuction Project Owner and the fulfillment of those needs by the Service Provider (designers & builders). Identified needs are those documented, in measurable form, and provided to the designer(s) and/or builder(s)that define what is to be fulfilled. Wow...pretty wordy!

How about: "when the owner gets kind of what they expected, and is satisfied." For many of us, in the routines of the day, that would be an improvement. Count how many times you end up disappointed in the 'outcome' of a transaction. I forgot who said it, but "half the promises broken were never made".

To end, consider this: I believe that every project owner has 7 fundamental expectations (YouTube Vide) relative to the outcome of their project and the people they hire (or "team" with):

Consider 7 Fundamental Expectations
1- Be on budget, don't make me have to go back and ask for more money. You said you could do it for this, so do it for this!

2- Be on schedule, don't wait until halfway through the project to uncover 'surprises' you should have predicted along time back....after all, you have done this before, haven't you?

3- Satisfy my need for Scope, not provide every square inch of the program metric...but accomodate my occupants, users, operators, etc. After all, I started this project to support the physical/environmental needs of the folks I serve.

4- Be Professional. You know, don't try and make decisions and do work you are NOT qualified to do, even though you fooled me in the interview and now I'm stuck with you...calm down.

5- Be Predictable (as referred to in number 2 above) about every single detail...after all, if I can count on number 4 above, then you have the skill to, indeed, be predictable. It is important, because I have a boss to report to...I can't keep changing the story...

6- Be Accountable. Let's use your checkbook for your mistakes...and I'll use mine for my mistakes. By the way, numbers 4&5 should allow me to depend on you, and avoid the use of my checkbook in the first place.

7- Let's Meet-the-Market. I don't want the cheapest or most lavish project...I just want a SQUARE deal...even if I haven't got the foggiest idea of what 'square' is.

And that's it...hope you enjoyed this initial blog.

Thanks
Dave

See more about the Owner's 7 Fundamental Expectations at www.designsense-Inc.com

Popular posts from this blog

"Proposed Solution" does not equal "Problem Solved" (Problem-Based Contracting)

DBIA's 10 BP's in 10 Post (#2)

Long Long Ago…